King School is working to build awareness on the importance of attendance. It is important to educate our students, staff, families, and the Deer River community on how attendance impacts student achievement. King School has some of the lowest attendance rates across Itasca County as compared with other elementary schools in the region. Our school goal this year is to improve our attendance rate from 80% of King School students attending school on a regular basis to 90% for the 2014-2015 school year.
Everyone has a role in helping to achieve this goal:
• Take attendance every day.
• Talk with students and/or parents when a student frequently misses your class. It is your business!
• Make students and their families feel welcome in your classroom and at school.
• Hold high expectations for all students. Focus on strengths and challenge all students to reach their full potential.
• Arrive at school—and all of your classes—on time every day!
• Remind a parent or guardian to notify the school office when you are absent.
• Take responsibility for your own behavior—go to bed on time, get yourself ready and be prepared for your classes.
• School is your job, treat it like one!
• Get your child to school on time every day and have a back-up plan.
• Plan vacations around scheduled school breaks and schedule appointments before or after school, during lunch or free periods.
• Report all absences to the school.
• Learn the difference between excused and unexcused absences.
• Don’t allow your child to stay home unnecessarily.
• Give your child enough time to get ready in the morning. Prepare lunches, complete homework assignments and set clothing out the night before.
• Remind your child the importance of school and how their education matters.
• Be involved in the school and your child’s education. Don’t hesitate to contact the school for any reason.
• Ask students how they are doing in school and let them know you support them.
• If you see kids during school hours, ask why they aren’t in school.
• Call the school about concerns of students loitering during the school day.
• Remind students that school is important and their success matters to you and the community.
King students show King Pride by coming to school every day, all day!